Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Community Helper Book

We've been learning about "Our Community" and have been working on a "Community Helper" book. After I've read a story we make a circle map of the information we've learned about that particular helper. Then the students write about that helper. Finally we do a directed drawing lesson that shows the community helper doing their job. The students love seeing their own little face in the picture.
These words get written on the left side of the page an a thin sheet of paper that can be glued in below the hole for the face.

Here are a couple of the other pages we did.

 We finished the book with: When I grow up......


4 comments:

  1. I teach 5th grade, and I could totally adapt this for my kiddos. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just found and followed your blog ;)

    Jessica
    Mrsstanfordsclass.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your site! I can't wait to see what you've got in the future. So glad I found it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how you used student pictures in their illustrations! I'm your newest follower :)
    Laura
    Over the 1st Grade Rainbow

    ReplyDelete